Adapted from Diane Atherton. This is the way her mother and her grandmother always made their potato salad. A really nice side dish to go with BBQ! Not bad with fried chicken or for the holiday meals either. I’m sure this basic recipe has be around forever. I tried and true in our household and the only way our family eats potato salad. Hope you enjoy!
- 5 lb Idaho potatoes, peel and cubed
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped fine
- 5 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1/4 c sweet pickle cubes or relish
- 1/2 c dill pickle cubes or relish
- 1 stalk(s) celery, diced, optional salt, and pepper to taste
- 1.5-2 c hellman’s mayonnaise
- 1.5-2 Tbsp mustard paprika, for garnish, optional
- 1 hard-boiled egg, sliced, for garnish, optional
- Peel potatoes and cut into 1-inch cubes; place in a 5-quart pot, cover with water (I add some salt to water); boil for approximately 7 to 8 minutes (time may vary so check for firmness around 5 to 6 minutes, don’t overcook and don’t undercook, you don’t want mashed potato salad and you don’t want undercooked potatoes; drain and rinse in cold water; drain well.
- While potatoes are draining and cooling off; combine chopped onion and eggs; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine pickles, celery, salt and pepper, mustard, and mayonnaise.
- Once potatoes are cooled; add chopped onion and eggs; fold together gently; add mayonnaise mixture and combine gently with other ingredients; if the salad seems like you don’t need all the mayonnaise mixture; don’t use it all, if the salad seems to dry, add additional mayonnaise.
- Garnish top with sliced boiled eggs and sprinkle with paprika if desired.
Source : https://www.justapinch.com/